Nicholas C. Rossis, PhD
MS-DOS, MacOS, Win3.x, Win95/98/ME, Win XP/Vista, Unix, Linux
1990 – 1995: Piraeus Institute of Technology, Athens, Hellas, Dpt. of Civ. Engineering
Grade: 75 %(“First”)
Thesis: “Harmonious Traces in the Eclectic Villas of Kifisia”
Grade:100 % (“Excellent”)
1995-2000: University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Computer Aided Architecture Design (EdCAAD), Dept. of Architecture, PhD
Thesis: “Design in the Digital Age: in search of a collaborative paradigm”. The thesis explored the relations between design, practitioner personality types and their attitude towards information technology, including computer-mediated communications, the Internet, and multimedia technologies. The thesis is available online in PDF format.
Interests and Activities
- Telematics, Distant Learning
- Computer Hardware (use of personally constructed K6 PC)
- Counselling (6-month course in Athens College, Greece; CCE course, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, February-May 1998; hold a first module Certificate in Counselling, 1998-99)
- Analytic (Jungian) Psychology (Jungian Psychology CCE course, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, October-January 1998)
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Workshop, June 5-6, 1998
- Anthropology (Shamanism CCE course, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, October-January 1998)
- Religious Studies, Byzantinology
- Shiatsu (Shiatsu CCE course, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, February-May 1998)
- Photography (two years of professional experience with G. Semidalas, a Greek photographer)
- Drawing and Design
- Music (composition and execution with Athens of the North)
- German : proficient (Mittelstufe, 1989)
- English : fluent
- Greek : fluent
- Basic knowledge of French, Russian
- Various web-related projects since 1995.
- Founded Electra-ACT in 1997.
- Technical Director at Sunrise Solutions, 1999-2000.
- Founded Istomedia Ltd in 1999.
- External expert for IBS, Pireaus 2002-2003.
- Director of Maxima Partners, 2011-2013.
- Co-headed Innovation and Technology department, Mediterra Holdings, 2013.
Collaboration as a designer with Communicata on the:
- Sony and
- General Accident web sites
- Editor of the Edinburgh Architecture Research (EAR) journal, 1995-96 (ass. Editor), 1996-97, 1997-98 and 1998-99. For the first time ever, EAR was published online and on CD-ROM in 1998.
- Collaboration with HareNET, a web development company, since 1995.
- Collaboration with Communicata, a web development company, since 1997.
- Development and teaching of a 3rd-year HTML course at Napier University, dept. of Printed Media, Publishing and Communication (PMPC), 1997-98. The handouts were compiled into a book, to be used by Napier University in the future.
- Development and teaching of a MSC in Hypermedia course at Napier University, dept. of PMPC, 1998-2000.
- Member of the Hellenic National Defence General Staff/A1/OPS/ Wargames development Dept. Position: Aide to R. Admiral P. Kikareas HN, June 1994 – August 1995.
- Aide to Commander A. Xenakis HN, CO, Navy H/C Base/Naval Fort Kotroni, 1993-1994.
- Ass. Psychologist in Navy H/C Base/Naval Fort Kotroni, 1993-1994.
- Collaboration with Dr. S. Tzepoglou, founding member of FEDORA (an EU-sponsored international organisation for the promotion of Professional Guidance), Psychology, since 1992.
- Collaboration with Prof. P. Varelidou (FORUM, DOMH), Architectural matters and Environmental studies for the EC (at various times from 1992 – 1995).
- Head of in-site Concrete Lab, ET BETON SA (former VOGIATZIS SA), 1991.
- Collaboration with EGNATIA STA, Water and Sewage Treatment Plant Design & Execution, (at various times from 1989 – 1995).
- Collaboration with Mr. G. Semidalas, Photography, 1991-1995.
- Interactive Media Alliance Scotland (IMAS), since 1996; member of the IMAS website subcommittee 1997-98.
- British Computer Society (BCS), since 1996.
- The HTML Writers Guild, since 1998 Scientific and Medical Network, since 1997.
- Dogbert’s New Ruling Class Member, since 1999.
- Crisis, since 2000.
- Amnesty International, since 1997.
- Medecins Sans Frontieres, since 1997.
- World Wildlife Fund, since 1995.
- OXFAM, since 1995.
Conferences and Publications
- “E-learning environments: capabilities and restrictions”, 1st E-Learning Conference, University of Patra, May 2000.
- “Developing New IT/CMC Paradigms in the Architectural Practice Context”, Edinburgh Architecture Research, vol. 26, Edinburgh, 1999.
- ECAADE 1996, Sweden, “Information Technology/Computer Mediated Communications (IT/CMC) in Architectural Practice”.
- “A Psychoanalytic Approach to Design”, Edinburgh Architecture Research, vol. 24-25, Edinburgh, 1997.
- EdCAAD Seminar, “The Future of the Architect”, November 1997.
- EuropIA 1997, Edinburgh, “The Architect’s Role in the Information Age”, April 1997.
- EdCAAD Seminar, “The Role of IT/CMC in Business Changes”, March 1996.
- EdCAAD Seminar, “The Architect’s Role”, June 1996.
- “IT/CMC: Effect on Design”; Edinburgh Architecture Research, vol. 23, p. 176, Edinburgh, 1995.